Anchor. Greek word—ánkyra—from the root word "agkos" which means 'to bend'. Anchor is a gerund: it can be used either as a noun or a verb.
1. a device usually of metal attached to a ship or boat by a cable and cast overboard to hold it in a particular place by means of a fluke that digs into the bottom
2. a reliable or principal support
3. something that serves to hold an object firmly
1. to hold in place in the water by an anchor anchor a ship
2. to secure firmly: fix anchor a post in concrete
3. to act or serve as an anchor for
What exactly is a transitive verb? Basically, a transitive verb transfers the action of the subject to the direct object. If there isn't a direct object, the verb would be intransitive; without the transferring of action.
In the New Testament book of Hebrews, we read in chapter six that “We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf, having become a high priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.” [Hebrews 6:19-20] Who are "we"? We are those that have accepted Christ as our Savior; put our trust in the Son of God. Salvation. Christ, the head of the Church. Ecclesia.
“...anchor of the soul, a hope...” A steadfast object for our soul. A hope. "Hope." Another gerund:
1. desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfillment; expectation of fulfillment or success
2. someone or something on which hopes are centered
3. something desired or hoped for
1. to cherish a desire with anticipation: to want something to happen or be true
1. to desire with expectations of obtainment of fulfillment
2. to expect with confidence: trust
The Hebrew word for hope is "yachal" which means "to wait, hope, expect; tarry, hope for". The Greek word 'Meno''—in its second definition—is "to wait for". Meno, a verb, means 'abide'. The original Hebrew and Greek—yashabh—is "to dwell"; meno, "to remain". Progressively wait, remain, lodge, sojourn, dwell, continue, endure.
Who shall I fear if my Anchor is secure?